Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Auld Lang Syne

Happy New Year to all....

I had some time on my hands today and so I visited the QOVF website
www.QOVF.org. I was clicking around looking at the wealth of information
available there. I was checking out the links for the "Under Our Wings" program,
the fabric lines, the many options to join this wonderful mission.

Then I clicked on the link for the newsletter. Just for fun I went back, back to
the very beginning and I read the newsletters from that first year. Have you
ever heard the expression the more things change the more they stay the same?
That is sort of what it felt like reading. It was a history lesson of the grass
roots movement to cover our wounded.

I had to chuckle when I read about people getting their panties in a bunch
and un-subscribing because "presentation cases" were requested/required for each
quilt. (Something we do now with out a second thought) There was discussion of
fabric quality, fabric color choices, batting, age appropriate fabric and
pattern choices, meeting size requirements. (Catherine would not wavier on the
quality issue, she wanted only the very best for those who would lay down their
lives for our freedom. Sound familiar?) Interestingly enough, every time there
was some sort of policy change their was some grumbling, a few bumps in the
road, a few gripes and then we sewed on.

It was interesting to read about the growth and maturity of the Foundation. At
first there were just a small number of volunteer toppers and quilters, a few
hospitals and VA facilities. Then each month more volunteers, more quilts, more
facilities. Pretty soon QOVs were available on the battle field.

What a miracle this organization is. From idea to action this is solid proof
that if we work together anything is possible. Our numbers have grown in leaps
and bounds thanks to your dedication and steadfast loyalty to this Mission.

Yes, we have had disagreements and bumps in the road, and occasional bunched
panties! But with open minds and open discussion look at where we started and
where we are today.

I am so proud to be in the company of such focus and tenacity, this Quilts of
Valor Community.

I hope we all make that new years resolution to take a new quilter "Under Our
Wings".

Best regards

Lori Kutch
Wenatchee, WA
lorilovesred@yahoo.com
lori@qovf.org

No comments:

Post a Comment