Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

1st Annual New Year's Day Sit & Sew

New Year's Day QOV Sit & Sew

For the past three years, during the hectic days of December, I have taken a
little "me" time to pick a patriotic quilt pattern and have selected and cut
all the fabrics needed to make it. Then on January 1st, I sit down at my
sewing machine with a goal of piecing the entire top that day. To me, it's a
great way to start the New Year.

So, this year I would like to ask all of you to join me in the First Annual
New Year's Day QOV Sit & Sew!

Here's how it works.

1. Leavea comment  and let everyone know you're participating.

2. Spread the word; ask your friends and guild members to join
in!!!!!!!!

3. Pick a pattern that meets the minimum requirements for a QOV,

http://www.qovf.org/content/basic-qov-requirements.html but that you feel
you can piece in a single day. Select and cut your fabric in December (great
excuse to spend a few moments in your sewing space!)

4. On January 1st Sit & Sew. Post your progress that day on Yahoo Chat,
Facebook, QOVF Blog, your own blog...wherever you want.

5. When your top is finished, request a volunteer longarmer

lhttp://www.qovf.org/req-longarmer.html or arrange to have it quilted by a
volunteer longarmer in your area (if you have one)

6. After your quilt is finished (bound, labeled, washed & in a
presentation case), request a destination
<http://www.qovf.org/req-destination.html>
http://www.qovf.org/req-destination.html and put NYD S&S in the comments
field of the request form. You will receive information on where to send
your quilt and your name will then be entered into a drawing for prizes (to
be announced)

7. A winner will be drawn for every 13 NYD S&S quilts, which are
completed by March 13, 2013, for which a destination is requested. So the
sooner you finish your quilt, the better your chance is of winning.

8. Remember that our overseas destinations request red, white & blue,
non-gender specific quilts so please keep this in mind when selecting your
pattern and fabrics.

I hope many of you will join me in kicking off 2013 by making a New Year's
Day Quilt of Valor to provide honor and comfort to a service member touched
by war...

Sincerely,

Marcella Pirner-Cormier
Destination Coordinator | Region 10 MA Coordinator
Quilts of Valor Foundation


<http://www.qovf.org/> www.QOVF.org

The Quilts of Valor Foundation is a non-profit organization established and
operated in accordance with section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.

9 comments:

  1. I am in and going to add this to our Quilt Guild newsletter to inspire more to take part in this fun way to bless! Warmly, Tawny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just one question, on #7, what is a NYD S&S quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in. I've had a QOV cut out for over 6 months. This will be the perfect time to finally get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in! I'll only have about 15min on New Year Day but I'll have all day on the 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also in. Will dig out a quilt top to finish. Beth in MN

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm planning to do this. Working on cutting fabrics but I'm so slow at that part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm planning on participating...what a great way to celebrate my first official day of retirement!! Aliquilt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Count me in. I just found out about this a few hours ago, so I'm cutting like mad while I wait for my teenager son to get home from work (he valets cars at a restaurant). Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete