Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Spotlight Sunday

This weeks Spotlight Sunday takes us to Idaho.... sit back and relax and let's see what Sharon is up to...


My mother, who has dementia, keeps saying, "I just don't know where you got
your talent".   Well, Mom, a lot of it is in my genes.  Grandma Huber was a
tailor and a quilter.  She always said I was her favorite - being the first
grandchild (bet she told my sisters that too).  I spent my summers
perfecting my sewing skills at her hand.  On my Mom's side of the family
was Grandma Hoffman who sewed because she had to........cloths, of course,
but there was always the hand tied quilts, made form worn out denim
coveralls and batting being the wool from the sheep my grandfather raised.
You just didn't move once you crawled into bed!

When I was in the 5th grade, I joined 4-H and the rest is history.  I
remember sitting at the machine, making a dish towel.  A measured PERFECT
1/4" seam had to be turned and then a PERFECT stitch!   I remember tears
streaming as I ripped and ripped..........and guess who was carrying the
whip?  So, thank you Mom, it came from your side too.

I loved to sew and did out of necessity.  I was a tall girl back then and
could find no ready made cloths to fit.  I had long legs and long (monkey)
arms.  Bought cloths were made for short gals with much better proportion
than me.

Fast forward to 2001!  Children grown, retired, thinking I would love to
learn to quilt - after all, it was the rage!  My husband encouraged me to
take a class, learn the art, enjoy!  SO, it's all his fault!!  I learned
two things in the first class, all about quilting tools and OMG look at the
fabrics and books and patterns.  I WAS a woman gone wild!.  That first
class was in July.  At the end of the year I had made a quilt for each of
my grandchildren - all 15 of them.  I bought books and read all I could on
techniques.  I dissected blocks and patterns trying to make the perfect
quilt.  Well, I haven't made one yet!

In 2005, my husband and I moved to Clarkston, WA.  It was here I was first
introduced to the Quilts of Valor Program.   I made a comment to my friend
Kelly......I thought we should work to cover our local men and women
serving in Iraq.  I thought we should maybe have a group.  I thought it
might be nice have a big sew day........And she said "You just do that!"
So was born the Lewis-Clark Quilts of Valor group.  Between my friends
Marilyn and Kelly, we put together a sew day on Nov 11, 2009.  We had a
wonderful time and generated 110 QOV's.  This first "Coming Together"
spawned the Grangeville, ID QOV group and a QOV group in Deary, ID.  We
were the little wave that wanted to spawn a Tsunami!  And we did.

I have to admit, those first QOV's were made for selfish reasons.  I was so
prolific a quilter the LA costs were killing me.  (NO, I do not quilt my
own.  I can see color and pattern but don't have the foggiest idea of what
will make my quilt look awesome.  I leave it to the professionals.)  LA's
would do the quilting free and I could continue my habit.  Then came the
personal presentations.......OMG!  A hug and a tearful soldier on your
shoulder will melt your heart.  Who knew how deep the wounds of these
awesome individuals?  I have been blessed to represent LCQOV at
presentations.  My passion for this project continues to grow deeper with
each presentation.

In March of last year, I was asked to represent QOVF as a Regional
Coordinator.  Living on the border of Washington State and Idaho, I was
asked to be the ID RC.  I have met some of the most wonderful,
extraordinary individuals in the State of Idaho.  New groups continue to
form.  Huckleberry Patches in McCall, ID has grown since our initial
meeting last year.  They are hoping to produce 100 QOV's this year.
Kamiah, ID has a strong group of quilters that has 65 QOV's for 2
presentations this coming Memorial Day.  Both are committing a minimum
of10% of their totals to the Foundation.  These are very small communities
and I am VERY proud of them.

What I do as RC's is miniscule compared to the magnificent men and women
that are the backbone of our Foundation.  Give yourselves a pat on the back
and a big hug.  I am only a quilter and nothing more without you!  Don't be
afraid to use me......it is my job!



8 comments:

  1. Wonderful to hear your story. Thanks for all your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful story Sharon, so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful story! Thanks for all your talents and love of our troops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon- this awesome spotlight shines brightly ! Thank you for all your dedication th those who serve us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're an amazing women, Sharon! I'm proud to work alongside you in this great endeavor. Judie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon--you had a vision and figured out how to make it happen!
    FIVE HUNDRED+ QOVs have been presented to our local Idaho/eastern Washington heros--entirely because of YOU!!
    thank you. Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon
    You have done a wonderful job of taking care of our service men and women. Not just here in the valley, but all over the country. I feel honored to be your friend. You motivate me to keep on quilting.
    Keep up the great work.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHO is this dynamo?

    ReplyDelete