Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

My Moment of Honor

Meet Les Page, our own QOV Volunteer Coordinator and his wife, Elaine, who is the Regional Coordinator for Virginia.  Les and Elaine are just two of many who volunteer for QOV, giving their heart and soul to this great organization. 

 Thank you to Les and Elaine for all you do for QOVF, and thank you to Michelle, a QOV recipient, it was our honor.

 





 


Elaine and Les received the following email from a thankful recipient of a QOV.  


Dear Elaine and Les,

As a 26-year military veteran, I thought I had maxed out my moments of honor. I worked for/with great leaders. I served side-by-side with talented, courageous Airmen. I led units and members to get the mission done. I trained with and briefed extraordinary, brave pilots. I had duty in just about each state, numerous countries, remote military sites and even Iraq. I was honored. 

After retirement I knew that I wanted to be able to write. I am now an intern with WHRO Public Media in Norfolk, VA. We came across what QOV does for veterans in Virginia and immediately thought it would be a great story to get out to the community. I was assigned to interview Elaine and Les Page, QOV Virginia Coordinators. What a wonderful couple! When interviewing them, such sincere patriotism, passion and just LOVE came across as they explained why they became involved in QOV. They explained in detail how each piece of fabric and each stitch are caringly assembled to form these endearing quilts to cover worthy service members and veterans. I was honored.

I was invited to one of their sew days to actually see the process in action. Elaine and Les with about 10 sewers gave me an inside peak into making these quilts. Each lady, and even a few gentlemen, eagerly told me how they became involved, what they contribute to QOV, and most of all their connection with the military. Supporting our veterans and thanking them for all they do and have done was no doubt the overall message each imparted. I was honored.

QOV not only creates these quilts, they also present them in a short but touching ceremony. As I finished up my notes with one of the sewers, Les got everyone’s attention in the room. He began by giving a short history of what QOV is all about. Then to my surprise he called me up to stand beside him and Elaine. He went on to read this beautiful QOV preamble. He then said, ‘Michelle, we are proud to present this quilt to you. Welcome home.’ I was surprised and overwhelmed to say the least. All my feelings of being proud to serve flooded over me. As they wrapped the quilt around me and hugged me as if I were one of their own family members, I knew they cared. I was honored!

Thank you Elaine and Les and all the QOV members for my moment of honor!

Michelle

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful story of a very deserving Veteran and her moment of honor with her Quilt of Valor. Brought tears to my eyes just reading it. You couldn't have asked for better to make your Quilt of Valor presentation - you got the very Best w/Elaine and Les, as you have so eloquently shared with all of us. Thank YOU, Michelle, for your sacrifice and service for our country.

    ReplyDelete