Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Private Ceremony


After a year of requests, a Vietnam Veteran has agreed to a QOV.  He and
two other recipients have asked for a quiet private "ceremony".  He wrote a
letter which states information pertinent to us all.  To protect his
identity, I am omitting names and places.  He also requested a quilt for
another wounded veteran, through the QOVF network.  In part is his reply to
the coordinator filling his request.

"There is no need to rush (to fill the request)--please operate at your own
speed.......just make sure he is contacted sometime ahead of the
presentation......I found that one can "lay to rest" a bunch of stuff by
being retrospective between the notification stage and the presentation
stage.  I am sure he will call and discuss a variety of issues with
me.....".
"FYI xxx   has tried to get me to accept a quilt for some time.  Her gentle
coaxing has allowed me to do so with some dignity."

Then followed:
"After having some time to "reflect" on everything that has passed with
respect to the QOV, including discussions with xxx and xxx, I am quite
eager to get one (+) a "hug" from you."

"I know so many guys that have had problems (medical, physical,logistical,
etc) after returning home.  Seems like a QOV would be helpful to them as
well.  As such, I found your National web for QOV and asked that one be
awarded to a collaborator of mine"

"As it turns out, I was immediately contacted by someone at the National
level-----then, someone at the State level.  Looks like xxx will get a
quilt.  I cannot tell you how much this has meant to me.  It seems so
simple, but it is a symbol of personal "freedom," justice and recognition.
Thank you for being such a pain that you kept after me to do this, not only
for me, but for xxx, xxx and now XXX (a troubled guy that will be made
better)"


Submitted by Sharon L

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful - so great to see just what a quilt can really do

    ReplyDelete